June is Great Outdoors Month. This the perfect opportunity for you to make treasured memories and enjoy quality time with your senior away from your usual care environment. This provides mental and physical stimulation for your aging parent, strengthens your relationship, and can help you to pursue care goals. You don’t have to go on a long hike, climb a mountain, or brave white water rapids to go on a great outdoor adventure with your senior. There are many other opportunities to get out in nature, enjoy the fresh air and warm temperatures, and have quality time together that are more accessible, safe, and practical for an elderly adult.
Let these ideas inspire you for ways you can get out into the great outdoors with your senior this Great Outdoors Month:
- Take a walk around the neighborhood. Even though these surroundings may seem familiar, take the time to really look and notice details. If you take walks regularly already, switch up the route you take to make the experience feel fresh and new.
- Visit a local park and go on a walk through the trails. Most often these trails are clearly marked with how long they are, and often go in a circle. This makes it easy to begin and end in the same location, and to gauge which path might be most appropriate for your parents.
- Visit a local garden to take in the beauty of the flowers, trees, and other plants. Look for plants you particularly enjoy, and start planning ahead for a beautiful garden with your senior next year.
- Research your local area to find hidden gems focused on the outdoors. Even locals often miss special locations that can bring you right into contact with the great outdoors. This type of location can include small parks, nature preserves, living museums, forests, and more.
- Review water safety with your parents and then visit a river or lake where swimming is allowed. This can be a completely different experience than swimming in a pool.
- For an adventurous and physically capable senior, consider finding gentle hiking trails and setting out for exploration.
If you are planning an adventure into the great outdoors with your aging parent this summer, consider bringing along a home care provider. Having a care provider available can offer greater peace of mind and confidence for your aging parents, and for you. This care provider can supplement the care you give to your parents, offer valuable mobility support, medication reminders, and encouragement to make good choices, all while allowing you to step back from this direct care and focus on other elements of the activity, such as caring for your children or just enjoying yourself.
If you or an aging family member are considering professional caregiver services in Islip, NY, please call the caring staff at A Gentle Touch Senior Home and Health Care at 631-647-7622 today.
In this way we can ensure the highest quality of care from the best service provider in each category and provide a total solution for most any home care situation. In short, We will only offer the service of experts in senior home services which results in first rate care from tenured industry professionals and completely and totally satisfied customers and grateful seniors and patients of all kinds.
Latest posts by Pat Ryan (see all)
- Four Tricks for Adding Nutritional Value to the Foods Your Dad Loves - November 29, 2018
- Do You Need to Beat Sleep Deprivation? - November 15, 2018
- Can Elder Care Support Help Keep Your Senior at Home? - October 25, 2018
- No categories
- Tips for Keeping Your Senior and Family Safe While Enjoying Fireworks at Home
- Are You in Denial about Your Senior’s Health and Prognosis?
- Senior Health Challenges to Watch For
- Are Your Parent’s Favorite Locations “Senior Friendly”?