Family caregivers have the responsibility to watch out for their elderly relatives and help them out physically and emotionally. As people age, they are more likely to develop age related health challenges. Sometimes, the elderly people are aware of the changes and have no problem asking for medical help. Other elderly people may be in denial that they are showing symptoms of age-related health issues. Then, it’s up to caregivers, with the help of home care assistants, family members, and others, to take note of the symptoms in their elderly loved one and make arrangements to get them to their doctor.
Family caregivers should be familiar with some of the most common senior health challenges so that they will be able to recognize when their loved one needs to get some professional help. Here are some of the most common chronic conditions that appear with age.
Almost a quarter of all elderly people are living with diabetes and it is an impactful disease that can seriously affect their lives. Left untreated, diabetes can lead to other health problems, illness, and even death. Early warning signs of diabetes include excessive thirst, frequent urination, blurred vision, and itchy skin. Diabetes can be identified with a simple blood test given by a doctor.
Oral health is often overlooked by seniors and family caregivers alike. In order to keep the mouth and teeth healthy, it’s important to get regular checkups and take care of daily hygiene. Some seniors may need help from a home care assistant for grooming and hygiene needs. As seniors lose their teeth, the dentist can work with them on their options.
More than half of seniors deal with some form of arthritis and it can range from mild to severe. Symptoms include pain, stiffness, and swelling in one or more joints, such as the fingers, knees, or shoulders. In the early stages of arthritis, it’s critical to start working with a doctor to create an activity and treatment plan to slow down any deterioration.
The same virus that causes the chicken pox also triggers shingles in adults. One third of elderly people will develop shingles, which is a painful rash that erupts along the nerve endings. Early symptoms include tingling, itching, and eventually severe pain on the back, shoulder and sometimes the chest and face. Once the shingles have erupted, there’s not much to do to prevent it, just treat it. The good news is that there are vaccines available to reduce the risk.
Pneumonia and influenza affect elderly people much more seriously than in younger adults and can even cause death for some. That’s because their immune systems are weaker and can’t resist the germs and infections as well. Seniors can minimize the risk or even avoid it altogether by getting an annual flu shot as well as a pneumonia vaccine.
If you or an aging family member are considering professional home care in Brookhaven, NY, please call the caring staff at A Gentle Touch Senior Home and Health Care at 631-647-7622 today.
In this way we can ensure the highest quality of care from the best service provider in each category and provide a total solution for most any home care situation. In short, We will only offer the service of experts in senior home services which results in first rate care from tenured industry professionals and completely and totally satisfied customers and grateful seniors and patients of all kinds.
Latest posts by Pat Ryan (see all)
- Is There Anything You Can Do about a Controlling Senior? - November 19, 2019
- How Does Personal Hygiene Affect Your Seniorâ€™s Mental Health? - November 6, 2019
- How Can Senior Care Help with Wandering? - October 23, 2019
- A Gentle Touch Senior Home and Health Care Company News (2)
- Alzheimer's and Dementia (4)
- Caregiver in Amityville NY (1)
- Caregiver in Babylon NY (1)
- Caregiver in Bay Shore NY (1)
- Caregiver in Bellmore NY (1)
- Caregiver in Garden City NY (1)
- Caregiver in Huntington NY (1)
- Caregiver in Islip NY (1)
- Caregiver in Lindenhurst NY (1)
- Caregiver Stress (4)
- Meditation (1)
- Caregivers in Brookhaven NY (1)
- Caregivers in Massapequa NY (1)
- Challenging Diseases/illnesses/Conditions (6)
- Diet and Nutrition (3)
- Elder Care in Amityville NY (1)
- Elder Care in Babylon NY (1)
- Elder Care in Bay Shore NY (1)
- Elder Care in Bellmore NY (1)
- Elder Care in Brookhaven NY (1)
- Elder Care in Huntington NY (1)
- Elder Care in Islip Town NY (1)
- Elder Care in Lindenhurst NY (1)
- Elderly Care in Amityville NY (1)
- Elderly Care in Babylon NY (2)
- Elderly Care in Bay Shore NY (1)
- Elderly Care in Bellmore NY (1)
- Elderly Care in Brookhaven NY (1)
- Elderly Care in Huntington NY (1)
- Elderly Care in Islip NY (1)
- Elderly Care in Lindenhurst NY (1)
- Family Caregiving in Bay Shore NY (1)
- Health Issues (10)
- Healthy Aging (3)
- Home Care in Amityville NY (1)
- Home Care in Babylon Town NY (1)
- Home Care in Bay Shore NY (2)
- Home Care in Bellmore NY (1)
- Home Care in Brookhaven NY (2)
- Home Care in Garden City NY (1)
- Home Care in Huntington NY (1)
- Home Care in Indian Hill NY (1)
- Home Care in Islip NY (2)
- Home Care in Lindenhurst NY (1)
- Home Care in Massapequa NY (1)
- Homecare Brookhaven NY (1)
- Personal Care Tips (7)
- Senior Care in Amityville NY (1)
- Senior Care in Babylon NY (1)
- Senior Care in Bay Shore NY (1)
- Senior Care in Bellmore NY (1)
- Senior Care in Brookhaven Town NY (1)
- Senior Care in Garden City NY (1)
- Senior Care in Huntington NY (1)
- Senior Care in Islip NY (2)
- Senior Care in Massapequa NY (1)
- Senior Home Care Updates (39)
- Senior Safety (5)
- Senior Health Challenges to Watch For
- Tips for Keeping Your Senior and Family Safe While Enjoying Fireworks at Home
- Are You in Denial about Your Senior’s Health and Prognosis?
- Are Your Parent’s Favorite Locations “Senior Friendly”?