Everyone has tasks that they complete on a regular basis, and things they do as a part of their normal routine that they sometimes don’t even think about. As a family caregiver, you likely know these routines and tasks for your aging parent. What if you notice, however, that they are suddenly having struggles with these familiar tasks? Can this be an indication of something serious? Experts indicate the answer may be yes. Having struggles with familiar tasks either in their daily home life or in leisure activities can be one of the earliest signs of Alzheimer’s disease. As a family caregiver, it is important to take note when your senior’s behaviors, functions, or routines change significantly, or change in ways that seem to have a negative impact on their daily living and quality of life. When it comes to issues such as this, bringing them to the attention of a doctor can allow for evaluation of your parent, and early diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease. Because the disease is progressive, knowing as early as possible allows you to prepare for care and management approaches that will address the needs of your senior now, and into further stages of their Alzheimer’s.
Some struggles with familiar tasks that may be an early sign of Alzheimer’s disease include:
- Getting lost when driving or walking to a familiar place.
- Being unable to give clear and followable directions to a familiar place.
- Not being able to keep up with a budget.
- Forgetting how to play a favorite game, or making mistakes when playing a game.
- Struggling with favorite activities such as sewing or woodworking.
- Not being able to make a favorite meal they have made many times before.
- Not being able to follow a familiar recipe or set of instructions.
- Having difficulty remembering how to manage basic daily tasks such as doing the laundry.
- Asking for help with technology they use frequently.
Being a family caregiver for an elderly adult living with Alzheimer’s disease can be one of the most challenging experiences of your life. Fortunately, you don’t have to do it on your own. Starting elderly care for your aging loved one can be a meaningful way to ensure your senior gets all of the care, support, and assistance they need throughout the progression of their disease. The customer services of an elderly home care services provider ensure your senior gets the exact care that is right for them and their needs, and that also corresponds to the care you already give them. This keeps you involved in the ways that are right for both of you, while also relieving your stress, protecting your own health and well-being, and supporting your senior and allowing them to have the highest quality of life throughout their later years.
If you or an aging family member are considering professional elderly care in Babylon, NY, please call the caring staff at A Gentle Touch Senior Home and Health Care at 631-647-7622 today.
In this way we can ensure the highest quality of care from the best service provider in each category and provide a total solution for most any home care situation. In short, We will only offer the service of experts in senior home services which results in first rate care from tenured industry professionals and completely and totally satisfied customers and grateful seniors and patients of all kinds.
Latest posts by Pat Ryan (see all)
- Do You Need to Beat Sleep Deprivation? - November 15, 2018
- Can Elder Care Support Help Keep Your Senior at Home? - October 25, 2018
- 6 Reasons to Seek an Early Alzheimerâ€™s Diagnosis - October 11, 2018
- No categories
- Tips for Keeping Your Senior and Family Safe While Enjoying Fireworks at Home
- Are You in Denial about Your Senior’s Health and Prognosis?
- Senior Health Challenges to Watch For
- Are Your Parent’s Favorite Locations “Senior Friendly”?