Chickenpox can be an uncomfortable and even miserable illness that can last for a week or more and result in symptoms including an itchy rash, fatigue, and headache.. As a family caregiver, it is important to recognize that when an elderly adult contracts chickenpox, it can also be dangerous. Seniors are more vulnerable to the potentially severe complications of chickenpox, including bacterial infections, dehydration, pneumonia, toxic shock syndrome, and even sepsis. The care that you give them can make a tremendous difference in how they are able to get through this infection and in minimizing the effects as well as the potential for complications.
Use these tips to help you care for a senior with chickenpox:¬†
- Encourage your senior to drink plenty of fluids to maintain hydration and support their body’s immune response.
- Encourage your senior to get plenty of rest while they are recovering. Not only will it help to deal with the symptom of fatigue, but it will also give the body the opportunity to heal more effectively. Elder care can make a tremendous difference in this situation, providing support and assistance for basic daily tasks so that your parents can save their energy and get more rest.
- Talk to the doctor about using over-the-counter pain medications to cope with symptoms and help your parent rest better.
- Consider using calamine lotion or other anti-itch products to soothe the rash.
- Discourage your parent from scratching or rubbing the rash as this could open skin and make them more vulnerable to bacterial infections.
- Encourage your parent to wear loose-fitting clothing to protect the rash and make it more comfortable.
- Keep your parents fingernails short and encourage them to clean their nails regularly to further reduce the risk of infection if they do scratch at their rash.
- Encourage aggressive germ control approaches including washing hands and using hand sanitizer regularly, disinfecting surfaces throughout the home, and discouraging visitors to reduce the risk of your parent contracting another infection and to lessen the spread of the infection.
If you have been looking for a way to enhance your aging loved ones quality of life and help them to maintain their health, safety, and independence as they age in place, now may be the ideal time for you to consider starting elder care for them. And elderly home care services provider can be with your parent on a customized schedule to ensure that they always have access to the assistance, care, and support that they require to manage their needs, challenges, and limitations in the ways that are right for them. Through a highly personalized set of services, this care provider can help your parent to pursue a lifestyle that is as independent, active, engaged, and fulfilling as possible throughout their later years. As their family caregiver, this can give you peace of mind and ease your stress, reassuring you that your parent is in good hands both when they are with you and when they are not.
If you or an aging family member are considering professional elder care in Bellmore, NY, please call the caring staff at A Gentle Touch Senior Home and Health Care at 631-647-7622 today.
In this way we can ensure the highest quality of care from the best service provider in each category and provide a total solution for most any home care situation. In short, We will only offer the service of experts in senior home services which results in first rate care from tenured industry professionals and completely and totally satisfied customers and grateful seniors and patients of all kinds.
Latest posts by Pat Ryan (see all)
- Snacks Diabetic Seniors Should Avoid - May 17, 2018
- Meditation Eases Stress and May Slow Cognitive Decline - May 3, 2018
- Tips to Help Prevent Foot Complications in a Senior with Diabetes - April 19, 2018
- No categories
- Are You in Denial about Your Senior’s Health and Prognosis?
- Senior Health Challenges to Watch For
- Are Your Parentís Favorite Locations ďSenior FriendlyĒ?
- How Medicare Cards are Changing to Keep Your Parentís Information Safer