For many families, fireworks are an integral part of enjoying the summer months. Whether they were used as part of a patriotic celebration, or just to make a night together more thrilling, fireworks are exciting, nostalgic, and a great way to spend more time making memories together. As a family caregiver, it’s important for you to not just plan activities for your family to enjoy together, but also to focus on the safety issues of such activities. Understanding the risks associated with fireworks, and taking a few precautions, can mean enjoying this summer fun with greater confidence.
If you are planning on enjoying fireworks at home with your family, use these tips to keep your elderly parent as well as the rest of your family safe:
- Make sure you know the local laws and regulations regarding fireworks in your area, and follow them precisely. These laws and regulations are in place to maintain safety and protect not only people enjoying fireworks, but also the environment and surrounding structures.
- Never purchase or use illegal forms of fireworks. Purchase only fireworks from reputable sources.
- Carefully read all instructions and cautions on fireworks labels before using them.
- Never use fireworks in areas with high grass, extensive tree cover, or close structures.
- Never allow a child or a senior with mobility or cognitive limitation ignite fireworks.
- Wear safety glasses when lighting and supervising fireworks.
- Never consume alcohol when using fireworks, and avoid having any of your guests consume alcohol.
- Only light one firework at a time, and then quickly move away to a safe distance.
- If a firework does not light, do not attempt to relight it. Instead, stay away from it for at least 20 minutes, and then fully submerge it in a bucket of water to soak.
- Make sure you have a usable hose and bucket of water close by when using fireworks.
- Consider having a fire extinguisher easily available.
- Discourage children from running around during the fireworks display. This can create a dangerous situation both because they may get too close to the fireworks, and the sudden bursts of light in the darkness can make it more likely they will fall.
- Never try to create homemade fireworks.
- After fireworks have been used, put them in a metal container, wetting them down, and leaving them in an area not close to trees, high grass, buildings, or other combustible materials for 24 hours.
- Never have pets outside during a fireworks display.
- Have a safe, quiet place available in case your aging parent is overwhelmed by the sound and light of the fireworks display.
Getting outside and enjoying time together during the summer months can be a great way to enjoy quality time with your aging parent, improve family relationships, and make memories all of you can cherish for years to come. Having an elder care provider with your parent during these celebrations can make it even easier for you to do this while feeling confident your parents will stay safe and healthy. The highly personalized services of an elderly home care services provider can mean your parent’s individual needs and challenges are met in ways that are right for them even while away from home enjoying patriotic celebrations and summertime traditions. This means your parent will get the support necessary while also giving you peace of mind, and the ability to focus on other elements of the celebration such as making sure your children are safe, handling food, and enjoying the event.
If you or an aging family member are considering professional elder care in Lindenhurst, NY, please call the caring staff at A Gentle Touch Senior Home and Health Care at 631-647-7622 today.